Saturday, November 26, 2011

Perfect Stranger

"Don't Talk to Strangers" this is one of the very important lessons or instructions all parents teach their children especially when they are out for shopping, playing at the park or even in the school while waiting for their ride home. Having this lesson instilled in our minds, most often than not, we take this lesson with us and continuously practice it as we mature or grow older.

But I'm sure everyone has one or various unforgettable experiences or close encounters with a total stranger, it may be bad or often times better than what we expected. Talking about my own, last Wednesday morning I did not just talk to a stranger..I even rode inside his Lexus Car. It looks a little old though, but it's still considered a luxurious SUV car with its seats wrapped with fur fabric (I wonder why and I find it weird). I was running late for work, I didn't drive the company car home last Tuesday night and didn't have a driver to ferry me to the office so I had no choice but to take a cab. I was heading towards the main road carrying my quite heavy laptop and handbag (Good thing I wasn't wearing heels that day) when the Lexus SUV pulled over and the man driving (who's probably in his late 40's) rolled down his window to greet me a good morning and asked how I was with a refreshing and genuine smile. I can easily tell that he's a Qatari, first because of his facial features (when you're working and living in Qatar for more than 4yrs, you will gradually learn to distinguish different nationalities just by one look at them) and second because he was wearing their traditional clothing. I hesitantly and politely smiled and greeted him back. He offered to give me a ride when he knew I'm bound to Al Sadd, coincidentally his office is in the same vicinity, in fact just few blocks away from mine. Thankful but also worried about the fact that the man was a total stranger, I hopped into his car and seated at the back seat. It was when he started driving when he told me that he will have 1 quick stop at the police station near our place to settle the accident he just had yesterday. Aside from the fact that I'm already running late to work, I know that settlement of police reports for accidents usually take not less than half an hour so I bluntly told him I'd take a cab instead to save both of us some time. It was when he offered to drop me off the main road where I can easily hail a cab and apologized that he can't take me to my destination right away when I realized how gentleman he is. Before i get off his car, he introduced his self as Khalid and asked me to take his number and said that i can call him for any help he can offer.

The incident that Wednesday morning was actually the 2nd most memorable encounter I have had with a total stranger, the first was really remarkable as it happened the very first day of 2010. Me and Nij decided to have a movie date, we wanted to watch The Avatar on Imax but didn't make it to the 8pm schedule at Villagio Mall. Since we're already there, we decided to just spend the next 2 hours eating dinner and window shopping to make it to the next screening which is 10pm. Back then we were still both taking our driving lessons so just like the usual, we need to take a taxi going home.The movie lasted for 2 1/2 hrs so it was almost 1am when we got out the theater. Mall closed at 10pm, so there were no cab waiting outside, the spacious mall parking lot almost looked so empty with very few cars left (probably owned by those who also watched movies on last full show). That was when we realized we're doomed. We took our chance and crossed along the highway where it's also less likely possible to see available taxi. January is still a cold month for Doha, both of us freezing cold along the highway, feeling the wind brought by all the fleeting cars stood there for about 45mins already when a Toyota Hi-Lux (if I'm not mistaken) chauffeured by an Arab young-looking man pulled over and asked where we are heading and offered to give us a ride. There had been some rumors and hear says going around about some Filipinos being abducted and dumped in the middle of nowhere, but that's the risk we had to take rather than continue waiting in vain or walk our way home freezing. Too bad I can't remember his name, but huge thanks to him, we got home safe and sound.


I'm not saying it's always safe talking to strangers, I'm not encouraging to take a hitch is some total stranger's car either. It's true that we are living in a dangerous times right now with all the chaos and violence happening in different parts of the world. Accidents and harm can happen to anyone that's why it is always important to be cautious. All I'm saying is there's always a good side in every person, there's still a lot of good Samaritans out there. I'm also sure that at one point in our lives,we  also offered a help to a total stranger. 

1 comment:

  1. Bait naman ni Khalid. Pero next time sis, still be careful ok?

    ReplyDelete