Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Big LEAP

Few days ago I have taken the 2nd biggest Leap in my so-called career life (so far). First of which was deciding to leave home and embrace this seemingly heroic role of being an OFW here in Doha, Qatar and work for LINEAR CONCEPTS (former name; now it’s called LINEAR ASSOCIATES).

After 4 ½ years of working in an Interior Design Firm managed by a Singaporean Couple (names not to be disclosed), I have finally decided (and when I say decided, it means FINAL, IRREVOKABLE, NON-NOGOTIABLE.) to leave and take on a new opportunity that easily landed into my very eyes. The first attempt was July 2010 and was just some sort of a scheming strategy to force my request for increment. By the way it worked. (Insert evil laugh here). 

Though the decision gives me such happiness and relief, I cannot deny the fact that whatever knowledge I have acquired related to some bits and pieces, basic and technical aspects of Interior Design, Architectural, Exhibition, and Construction…major credit goes to this company and the people I have worked with.

I would like to consider this post a little bit of my “Tribute” for LINEAR ASSOCIATES that will feature and somehow take me down the memory lane of some of the most memorable events and experiences and people who have made my entire 4 ½ years a remarkable one.

Projects
Some Photos / Perspectives of the major (if I may say), physically and mentally stressful yet rewarding and memorable projects I was involved with.

Oishi Sushi Japanese Restaurant - The very first project.
This was when I started to have a little grasp about reading and understanding lay-outs, elevation, furniture plan, construction terms, materials and etc.

I worked for this project under the supervision of my Marketing Manager. This is one helluva highly budgeted project because this is a private office of the sheikh. All his furniture were ordered from Italy and costs millions when converted to Philippine Peso.

Sout Al Khaleej (QTV) - a project where the special glass used keeps on breaking. Without exaggeration, I ordered the special glass from Thailand at least 10 times. (whew..what a waste!)

Al Mashata Beauty Center and Spa - 90% of the materials used for this project were procured from overseas (Thailand, Singapore, China, Turkey, India)
Mercedes Benz Stand for Qatar Motor Show 2012 (January) - My first and hopefully not the last experience to handle and manage exhibition project.
Birthdays

Photos of all 4 Birthdays I celebrated with Linear Family

I may look slimmer back in 2008 but why do I feel like I don't look good in these photos???


Very special thanks to Papa D. for the caricature he made me. I will keep it FOREVER.

Thanks to my Supplier friend for the cake :)
Travels

I have had 2 All-Expense-Paid Travels during my tenure with Linear.

First was actually just to leave Doha temporarily as my business visa already expired. 
January 2008 was my first time to visit SINGAPORE. Too bad I lost (or maybe accidentally deleted) the very few photos I have during my stay there. So I don't have something to share over here.


Second trip was January 2010 bound to ISTANBUL, TURKEY with my boss. The trip was mainly to visit the automatic revolving door supplier I found and do a little bit of materials sourcing. Since I was with my boss (who by the way walks too fast in her classic red rubber shoes while I endure the pain of walking with my high heeled boots) I also didn't have much chance to take as many photos I can or at least enjoy strolling around the beautiful city. Nevertheless, the trip was a very memorable one for me as I experienced and actually felt the freezing yet exhilarating coolness of Snow that has fallen over me on our way back to the airport during our last day. If I'm not with my boss that time, I could have lingered further outside to enjoy the snow, and even just for a while, I felt like my cheeks are all so rosy (feelingera lang).

Due to heavy downpour of snow, our flight going back to Doha was cancelled and all the passengers were booked in Sheraton to stay overnight.
Friends and Colleagues

Another very important reason why I stayed with the company is the happy and tight bond I have established with my colleagues.

Despite the language barrier, it's still good to work with your fellow Asians as our cultures and beliefs are somehow similar with each other..most often even our physical features (I don't know if it's any good but I am often mistaken as Singaporean too whenever I'm with my bosses or vice versa)

Some photos together with our Thailander, Malaysian, Singaporean and Chinese Colleagues
First New Year celebrated away from home.

We all had lots of Fun!

And of course, the people who I don't just consider as my colleagues but as my own family here in this foreign land. 

I will miss seeing you guys everyday in the office, our chit chats every morning while preparing coffee, our gossiping, kulitan and tawanan.

BFF Mhela - The everyday "Damsel in Distress"



Nette- My room mate for the longest time, confidant and now figure conscious buddy.

"Boss Chief" Charles - my brother John Pratts (chos!)
Couple Kuya Berns and Ate Yvette - mga malambing na aso't -pusa.

And of course the Man I will miss the most.  Mr. Dong Tan a.k.a PAPA D. He may look serious but trust me, he's the most funny among the men of Linear which is really ironic because he cracks nothing but old and corny jokes. He has always been the person I can seek for serious advice.


Photos of the Original Housemates.
 
Soon, I will be taking on a new job, work with new people and embrace new challenges but I will forever be grateful for all the knowledge and experiences I gained all throughout my tenure with the company. It has given me this confidence to step out of my comfort zone and take on another risk.
 





1 comment:

  1. Wow! Goodluck to you sis. Keep it up. We're proud of you. Sana ako rin magkawork na.

    ReplyDelete