Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Of Becoming a Mother


Last March 19, 2012 my sis-in- law Carla gave birth to their second child. I accompanied her to the hospital. At 5:00AM she was already admitted and brought to the Delivery Room while I stayed outside waiting till she delivers their new bundle of joy. Waiting can really be so tiring, especially if it’s just 4:00am and you were awakened just when you’re about to be in deep slumber. 

95% of the people I saw throughout the hours of waiting were Pregnant Women and Mothers, few of the pregnant women  are also expected to give birth that day but taking few rounds of walking as advised by the doctor para daw matagtag. And the rest were there to have their check-up, they started congregating at the hospital lobby came 9:00am, my guess was they wanted to be early for the 10:00am consultation because of the long queue. As in I can literally say na kahit saan ako lumingon puro buntis or mga nanay na may kasamang baby ang nakikita ko.
 
Looking at their different facial expressions fascinated me. Women who’s almost in their due date walks slower and looked like they are in pain whilst women who are perhaps just on their 1st or 2nd trimester looked more relaxed , some are even young looking and accompanied by their Moms;  parang mga college students pa lang na nabuntis ng boy friend. I can’t really distinguish who or how many among them are first time moms or pangalawa or pangatlong beses na manganganak…all I know is that behind their obvious facial expressions is the one common feeling of Happiness that goes beyond explanation.

I am not yet a Mother but I need not to be one to decipher how difficult yet fulfilling it is to carry a life inside you.  I myself felt immeasurable happiness the first time I wrapped my arms around my nieces and nephews or even a baby cousin, a godchild, a friend or even a stranger’s child. 
 
I must admit, aside from the excitement of seeing my new niece, that day I felt so envious. I have never felt so envious to anyone or to anything in my entire life until that day. 

Why? Maybe because I’m already at the age when I should have a family of my own.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but NO I am not bitter because I’m still Single. 
Believe me when I say I am HAPPY
For many reasons that can be enumerated at the next or future posts, besides I should not be derailed from the subject of this post which is becoming a Mother and not becoming a Wife (Lol)
 
Yes, I desire of being a Mother soon (soon talaga?).
I don’t know where this strong desire is coming from, but I know it has always been within me. I have always been so fond of children and I am proud to say I am good and ma-tyaga in taking care of them, long before my siblings had their own kids, I already had a firsthand experience in carrying a new born, changing diapers, feeding them, allowing them to burp, bathing them and putting them to sleep.

 I remember one of my BFF’s (who has just given birth to their 2nd baby last month) commented in the photo I recently posted in FB carrying my new born niece that goes: “Bagay din sayo ang Motherhood neng”. I swiftly replied her with a beginning statement of “Alam mo yan neng!”

 
I’ve heard enough about how being a mother is not an easy and temporary job. It is not a simple task that you can quickly flinch whenever you feel tired. Even just by looking at my mother and remembering all her hardships in raising and nurturing us to become whatever we’ve become already made me understand what I have to go through when I become a mother myself.

Just thinking Out Loud: 
If I become a Mother, I will have to give up my career, (at least temporarily) the “gastadora” and “maluho” in me..

What the heck, the moment I even started wanting to have a child, i already told myself that I must sacrifice and face all the odds with eyes wide open.


And what kind of woman would ever deny herself to give life to such beautiful creation: 


                     Meet my newest Niece; Ma. Princess Victoria S. Cuera (a.k.a.) Phoebe

I would like to end this post with a very memorable and winning answer of 1994 Miss Universe; Sushmita Sen:

Just being a Woman is God’s Gift. The origin of a child is a mother, a woman. She shows a man what sharing, caring and loving is all about. That is the essence of a woman.”




1 comment: